Dave’s Orion3 Story
NHS England now offer Blatchford MPK packages; a combination of a microprocessor-controlled knee (MPK) and a choice of hydraulic ankle. Dave is one person who has hugely benefitted from an NHS MPK package.
In June 2005, Dave was involved in a serious motorcycle accident, which resulted in an above knee amputation on his left leg. Dave is now 53, living in South Yorkshire and enjoying his retirement.
Dave has always strived for the best prosthetic technology and when he discovered Orion3 in early 2017, he was keen to try it. Dave was fitted with Echelon, a Blatchford hydraulic ankle, combined with an Orion3 MPK shortly after.
Being able to walk more naturally and look straight ahead rather than watching his every step has really made a huge difference to Dave’s life, giving him the confidence to walk with less support from his wife, knowing he can rely on his prosthetic limb. Dave commented that “the MPK has now given me the opportunity to move forward with my life and concentrate on the things that matter the most.”
Dave has always found it difficult to explain to someone who is not an amputee the difference that Orion3 has made, he describes that his previous leg always felt like an attachment but Orion3 feels as though it has become part of who he is. Dave commented, “It makes me feel as though I am a whole person again and I no longer look at myself as someone who has a leg missing.”
Echelon has been designed to provide users with a natural fluid walking experience, promoting stability and confidence on uneven terrain and slopes. Echelon has vastly improved Dave’s ability to walk on uneven surfaces and he said it feels so much more natural. He can now walk up and down kerbs with relative ease, as well as up and down slopes far easier with Orion3 than his previous prosthetic knee.
Orion3 and Echelon together have made such a difference to Dave’s daily life and his family thinks so too, his partner commented, “I can’t believe how much more confident Dave has been since using his new microprocessor limb. I am so pleased that he has had the opportunity to improve his mobility, it really has helped his quality of life.”
Dave’s goals for the coming months and years are to reach his maximum potential and he feels confident that Orion3 will assist him in this challenge. The focus is all on practice, practice and practice!
The new and improved Orion3 is now available with enhanced features; bringing together everything users love about this intelligent microprocessor knee with even more advanced technology, for a superior walking experience. Orion3 is designed to prioritise the safety and stability for activity level 3 walkers, offering a very natural experience across different terrains and speeds. The Orion3 upgrade introduces improvements that promise to give the user even more control of their health and mobility.
- Situational Awareness – an Inertial Measurement Unit senses movement and speed to respond accordingly, in real time
- Enhanced Stability Performance – 5 levels of stance resistance optimises safety at all times: Controlled Stance Support, Standing Support, Dynamic Slope and Stair Descent,Stumble Recovery, Supported Sitting
- Natural Efficient Motion – MPC pneumatics ensure energy efficient and smooth swing at multiple speeds: Optimal Stance Release, Adaptive Speed Control, Terminal Swing Damping
- Cycling Mode and Fixed Angle Flexion Lock Mode
- Knee Flexion to 130°
- Lithium Ion batteries with up to 3 days life, dependent on usage
- Battery Life Indicator and Low Power Mode
- Improved! Stair Descent Recognition
- Improved! Stance Flexion
- New! Heel Rise Damping
- New! Training Mode
- New! Recessed, covered and magnetic charging point
- New! Programming App for Android and iOS
- New! Button Programming Functionality