Becky’s Orion3 Story
After Becky had been using an IP knee for a long time, her Prosthetist suggested she try an Orion3 which could meet her daily requirements more effectively. Immediately Becky noticed a difference in how it felt and was particularly impressed by how her prosthetist was able to programme Orion3 according to her gait, walking speed and weight. Overall her first impression was how natural the movement felt which in turn made her think less about each step.
Becky noted the Supported Sitting feature of Orion3, which is enabled by progressive hydraulic resistance. She explained how this is really useful when she’s holding and sitting down with her youngest boy Max. Becky added, “it means I can spread the weight evenly between both legs and I’m less reliant on my good leg”. As a result, she’s able to rely on the leg more than before and helps to look after her good side, something that’s really important to her as she looks ahead to the future. Amusingly Becky said, “I’m in my 30’s now, but soon I’ll be in my 60’s.
Orion3 has also enhanced Becky’s confidence. Before she wouldn’t have the confidence to do ‘step over step’ when walking downstairs but with the progressive resistance, the knee takes the weight as she steps down. Becky also commented on her increased confidence when walking on uneven terrain thanks to Orion3’s stumble recovery that ensures knee stability in the event of a stumble. In addition, when walking down a slope with the added weight of a buggy, she is confident the knee is able to support her and feel like ‘she’s not running away with herself’. Becky concluded by explaining the importance of confidence in her daily life, “you’ve got to have confidence when you’re walking and carrying a child or drinks or dinner”.
Becky also noted the long battery life which is well suited to her active and busy lifestyle. She explained, “I’ve had two children over the last three years so I’m more active”, “I’m often walking around an estate when planning environmental projects at work” and “I visit the gym in the evening”. She concluded, “I do use it an awful lot.”
Above all, Becky refers to how Orion3 has enhanced her confidence whilst also reducing how much she has to think about her gait in daily life. “It’s about not having to think about being an amputee and just go out and do what everyone else does.”
The new and improved Orion3 is now available with enhanced features; bringing together everything users love about this intelligent microprocessor knee with even more advanced technology, for a superior walking experience. Orion3 is designed to prioritise the safety and stability for activity level 3 walkers, offering a very natural experience across different terrains and speeds. The Orion3 upgrade introduces improvements that promise to give the user even more control of their health and mobility.
- Situational Awareness – an Inertial Measurement Unit senses movement and speed to respond accordingly, in real time
- Enhanced Stability Performance – 5 levels of stance resistance optimises safety at all times: Controlled Stance Support, Standing Support, Dynamic Slope and Stair Descent, Stumble Recovery, Supported Sitting
- Natural Efficient Motion – MPC pneumatics ensure energy efficient and smooth swing at multiple speeds: Optimal Stance Release, Adaptive Speed Control, Terminal Swing Damping
- Cycling Mode and Fixed Angle Flexion Lock Mode
- Knee Flexion to 130°
- Lithium Ion batteries with up to 3 days life, dependent on usage
- Battery Life Indicator and Low Power Mode
- Improved! Stair Descent Recognition
- Improved! Stance Flexion
- New! Heel Rise Damping
- New! Training Mode
- New! Recessed, covered and magnetic charging point
- New! Programming App for Android and iOS
- New! Button Programming Functionality