Intelligent microprocessor (computerised) knees are more complex knee joints that are designed to help amputees walk with a much more stable and efficient gait that more closely resembles a natural walking pattern.
Benefits of Microprocessor (Computer-Controlled) Prosthetic Knees
The lack of trust in today's basic prosthetic limb often means that the user will shift their weight onto the non-amputated limb. This has a detrimental effect on other joints.
Microprocessor-controlled knees provide the amputee with more stability on all kinds of terrains, slopes and steps. Microprocessor-controlled knees, such as the Orion3, adapt hydraulic resistance in real time, providing the wearer with support whether they are standing still or moving.
Prevention of falls is just one aspect – reducing the chances of acute injuries – but effective stabilization can also cut down on medical problems often experienced by amputees with conventional prosthesis and joints, such as lower-back pain, arthritis and hip replacements.
Orion3 Microprocessor Knee
Orion3 is an intelligent microprocessor knee that uses Performance Response Technology to offer a very natural experience. It was built to offer the amputee stumble recovery technology; ensuring that the knee remains stable should the user falter. This, in turn:
- Reduces the risk of amputees falling or injuring themselves when walking or changing environments
- Provides users with the confidence and stability needed to move without fear
- Reduces the lifelong care needs of amputees
Become an Ambassador of Mobility!
Our Ambassadors are busy telling their stories and helping others in their community. They are raising public awareness around limb loss and care about making a positive difference in people's lives.
They are inspirational, motivational and unstoppable positive forces in the lower limb amputee community!
Please consider joining our Ambassadors of Mobility! We'd love to have you share your experience as a caregiver in the amputee community!
• Situational Awareness – an Inertial Measurement Unit senses
movement and speed to respond accordingly, in real time
• Enhanced Stability Performance – 5 levels of stance
resistance optimises safety at all times
- Controlled Stance Support
- Standing Support
- Dynamic Slope and Stair Descent
- Stumble Recovery
- Supported Sitting
• Natural Efficient Motion - MPC pneumatics ensure energy
efficient and smooth swing at multiple speeds
- Optimal Stance Release
- Adaptive Speed Control
- Terminal Swing Damping
• Cycling Mode and Fixed Angle Flexion Lock Mode
• Knee Flexion to 130°
• Intuitive Programming Software via PC or App
• Lithium Ion batteries with up to 3 days life, dependent
• Battery Life Indicator and Low Power Mode
The Blatchford Community
For over 130 years Blatchford has designed and produced some of the world's most advanced artificial limbs and mobility solutions. Learn more about resources available to help you and/or the amputee in your life!